Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I'm Back!

Dad's Pepper Relish



Once I got over my initial shock regarding my Diabetes diagnosis and learned to live with it better, I found that - with a certain amount of due diligence - I didn't have to give up *everything*.

Such it is with Dad's Pepper Relish.   We've been eating this for many years, and it may be that my mom originally came up with it, I'm not sure nor is Dad, but he usually ended up doing the making of it regardless of who's idea it was.

This condiment is incredible on burgers, brats, hot dogs, hot beef, any kind of sandwich.  I also like it in egg salad, mixed with rice, topping a bagel with cream cheese or added to anything that you want to add a little kick to.  It can be eaten right away, but as with many things, is best after a day or more.   It keeps in the refrigerator for a long time if kept in mason jars, and takes just minutes to make.

Ingredients:

Pickled Jalapeno Slices
Celery (or Cucumber)
Onion
Green Olives with Pimentos
Olive Oil

For whatever amount you wish to make, finely dice the pickled jalapeno slices.  Whatever amount you dice up, take about half that amount in each of the rest of the ingredients and dice those up.  Mix all together in a bowl.  Add olive oil...about a Tablespoon for each pint you make.   Stir well and put in a mason jar or jars, refrigerate.  If using cucumber, peel, slice in half and remove soft center seedy part and discard, then dice the rest of the cuke up.    Dad always makes it with celery...I was out of celery one day and tried the cuke, and I like it either way.

Jalapenos too hot?   Try pepperoncinis, banana rings, whatever you like!

1 comment: