Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Grandma's Lost Cookies


No, this isn't about Grandma having too much fun and losing her cookies.  Sicko.

My Grandma Kohn was, from everything I'd ever heard from anyone who knew her, a wonderful lady.  She left this world far too early from a sudden massive stroke when my father was barely a teenager.  My grandpa remarried within a couple years to an evil stepmother who denied my father and his brother anything to do with anything from the past...from their real mother.   Mementos, clothes, recipes, knickknacks, all were boxed up and hidden in the attic if not given away.   It was many, many years, decades after my grandfather died, when the evil stepmother finally was put in a nursing home.  At that time, the boys finally had access to a few things that were still in the attic.   Even that was probably 20 years ago already.

Fast-forward to about 3 years ago.  One of my cousins came upon an old Dodge Co., WI cookbook from the late 1940's that was made up of several church congregations' recipes.  In it was this recipe for Peanut Cookies from Lila (Rounds) Kohn.   She copied it down, along with another recipe that I'll post soon, and gave it to my father.  Dad remembered these cookies well...he had forgotten all about them and how good they were.  It was like a gift from the past...cookies he hadn't had in over 60 years.

Now, I'm not much for posting recipes for cookies, bars and the like, but these are just so darn good that I can't help but share these wonderful cookies with you here.  They're great with coffee or milk and I would think you could add raisins, craisins or other fruit to them if you like, also.  So here, without further ado, is the recipe for Lila Kohn's Peanut Cookies.

Ingredients:

1 cup Lard (or shortening)
2 cups Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Oatmeal (I use non-instant)
1 1/2 cups Corn Flakes
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Salted Redskin Peanuts (Spanish Peanuts)
2 cups Flour

Preheat oven to 350.  Start by beating the eggs, adding in the Sugar and Vanilla and Lard.  When well-mixed, add in the Oatmeal and Corn Flakes, then the Peanuts, the Baking Soda and finally the Flour.  Mix well, drop on ungreased cookie sheets with a spoon.  Bake for about 12-14 minutes.

Enjoy this treat from the past.  Thanks, Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete