Friday, December 30, 2011

Diner-Quality Hash Browns from Scratch

I love hash browns.  Most guys do.  There's nothing better after a grueling night of adult beverage consumption than a trip to a local diner for some hash browns (smothered in A-1 sauce, if you're me).  But sometimes you just don't have the energy to drive, or you just want hash browns at home, night of debauchery or not.

Making hash browns was a soggy, sorry affair for me for years.  Either I would end up buying "Simply Potatoes" or frozen hash browns, both of which made me feel like I'd failed as a chef.   Well, a couple tips I picked up from a few people over time allowed me to combine them and come up with this recipe that really works.  You'll get crispy, diner-style hash browns in about a half hour.

3-4 Small to Medium Russet Potatoes
4 T Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Boil the potatoes covered in salted water.  Throw, oh, I guess about a T of salt in with them in a small saucepan.  Boil for exactly 10 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes.  Then run under cold water to cool the potatoes.

Put 4 T olive oil in a non-stick skillet, or a well-seasoned cast iron skillet (preferred).  Set on medium heat.  If you know your stove top runs hot, set it a little lower, better to err on the low side than the high side with this.

Heat the oil and skillet well.  When it's up to temperature, dump in the shredded potatoes and level them off in the pan.  Set a timer for 9 minutes and DO NOT TOUCH THEM.  Leave them in the pan until the timer goes off.  Flip them over and repeat, but only fry for 8 minutes.  Remove from pan, salt-pepper and serve!

Mmmmm...diner-style hash browns.  Pass the A-1!

4 comments:

  1. Want cheese and onions (Smits)?

    Dice up onions finely and throw in with the shredded potatoes. Grate cheese over the top after you've flipped the potatoes. Cover pan for last minute or so to melt cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikay, after only 20 or more years of lousy fried potatoes, I finally came to the same conclusion about not touching the potatoes while they brown. I usually only cook on one side (i.e., I don't flip them) and serve them with the browned crust the top. I'm going to try them with olive oil the next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've read this four times and I can't find a reference to shredding the potatoes. Also, don't feel bad Mike, virtually every restaurant on the planet uses dehydrated hash browns so you're on track with the store bought. Nobody in their right mind would peel that many taters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Unknown. Well, of course you have to shred them first. You can use a cheese grater. I usually do that, or if I'm feeling brave, I use a mandoline...but I did nearly take a finger off with one about a year ago...

    ReplyDelete